The third Monday in January is known as #BlueMonday, because everyone is feeling the dip after the Christmas festivities, the credit card bills have come in and it seems like a long way to payday, if you are paid monthly. Normally, we all start thinking about booking Summer holidays but, in the current #COVID-19 climate, this is not possible, as we don’t know when it will be safe to travel.
We need to keep ourselves motivated, and positive, and the best way to do this is ‘one day at a time’. When we get up in the morning, we need to have a ritual to start our day, to get it off on the right footing. Otherwise, the saying “he/she got out of bed on the wrong side” might apply.
These are a few positive tips for starting the day:
- Don’t jump out of bed (this can cause a lightheaded feeling or a muscle spasm). Move gently out of bed.
- Open the blinds to get the light (this helps set your internal clock).
- Be thankful for the day and, even if it’s raining, remember, we need the rain for the flowers to grow.
- Take a few moments to say a prayer, or simply acknowledge being present in the moment.
- Make your bed – this marks the start of your day and is your first task done.
- Take some exercise –15 or 20 minutes can jumpstart your metabolism.
- Have your shower – the negative ions, produced by the hot running water and steam, help you waken up and are believed to increase levels of serotonin in the brain, which helps our mood.
- Have your breakfast – you need the energy.
- Get ready for work (even if you are working from home). Avoid wearing the track suits if you can. Dress as if you were going to the office and put on some make up – this can help to brighten your mood.
And finally…………………..Have a nice day!!